Monday 9 July 2012

Life on the farm near Goondiwindi

Hi everyone!

I apologize for leaving such a gap between posts. I meant to write sooner, but have had a crazy last few weeks. I left the Melbourne area about 4 or 5 weeks ago to become an au pair for a family that lived on a farm on the border of NSW and Queensland. I met up with the family at the Gold Coast, and then we drove inland for 4 or 5 hours to get to their farm. I was taking care of 6-month-old twins (boy/girl) and a 3-year-old boy. The family was nice, and I tried to get into their routine but it was really tough. I was caring for the children for 10-11 hours a day, Monday to Friday. It was just way too much to handle and it really wasn't a good fit for me there for a number of reasons. I really wasn't enjoying it and found myself stressed, so I left that family and was in search for another. I did enjoy the experience of living on the farm though. It was really neat to see kangaroos just hopping through the fields and across the road. It was interesting learning to drive there with kangaroos as obstacles! They were basically the same as deer are to Canadians. They were everywhere! The rule of thumb was if you see one, slow down and wait as there will probably be more. I also got to see some emus as well. While on the farm, I learned to drive on the other side of the road, the other side of the car, and also manual driving. Driving on the other side of the car and road wasn't too bad, it's the manual driving that was pretty hard. I did manage to do it, but am happy that I no longer have to do that! I have no real intentions of ever doing it again either, but it was a good learning experience. Anyways, I'll post some pictures to this blog so that you all can see what I was seeing there. I am going to follow this post by another post about my current situation, so that everyone is up to date!

Gold Coast
View from where we stayed
This is "the tank" which is what I drove

Three emus and a kangaroo in a field
kangaroo that jumped across the road
Cotton, lots of cotton
Ducks (Wilbur) making cookies with me
Adorable baby goat
Adorable lambs I saw while out on a walk
The twins Elkie and Jack
Sheep
One of the many work dogs that lived on the farm - they were really sweet

Another cute lamb

Hard to see, but it's kangaroos jumping across the road


No comments:

Post a Comment